Are you wondering how to survive summer vacation with kids? Do you find it funny that it’s even called summer vacation? Who is it a vacation for? The children…definitely. The teachers…usually. The parents…not a chance! Having your kids home day after day, week after week, can make even the best parent go insane. With that in mind, here are 5 tips for how to survive summer vacation with kids:
1. Make them go outside. No matter how old they are. Tell your tweens and teenagers that for every hour on a screen, they have to spend one hour outdoors.
2. Try to plan at least one activity or outing with them each day. Even if it just going to the grocery store with you. Seriously. They need to get out so they don’t go stir crazy.
3. Provide as much structure as possible. If you can send them to a camp or activity daily, do it. It’s as good for them as it is for your sanity.
4. Break the rules a little. Let them eat candy, get dirty, or stay up late. Because it’s the only time they get to.
5. Enjoy them. Before you know it, they’ll be all grown up. So plan some family time and build some memories.
Yes, it can be annoying and loud and frustrating having your (bored) kids around all day long. But you can survive, and even enjoy summer vacation. Just remember, you were a kid once, too!